Dancing Dolphin Journal

Friday, January 19, 2007

Swimming with Dolphins




There has been an longstanding controversy about the ethics of keeping dolphins in captivity and tanks and/or to allow humans to interact with them in this captive environment. Both sides of this debate make good points, and at different times, I have aligned with one or the other. So when a sensitive, good-hearted friend of mine went to the Dolphin Discovery in Florida recently to swim with their dolphins, I asked him if he would give me his feedback and feelings. This is what he wrote:

"Here is what I have to say about the Dolphin Experience: I think that Disney's efforts to bring people closer to these magnificent, loving, and exceptionally talented creatures are in good taste. The people employed on behalf of their care, training, and showmanship are utmost- loving employees whose concern for the dolphins is very noticeable. I believe that the dolphins are happy, and I know that I was happy to experience their great abilities of acrobatics and understanding. I don't see their being in such a place as Discovery Cove to be considered "captivity" in a negative sense when they can also experience humans who love to touch and exchange loving energy.

I really was impressed with the whole layout of Discovery Cove and the intense detail that has gone into the landscaping with its waterways, waterfalls, foliage and look of being the real thing. I would highly recommend anyone to attend and especially take their children to experience the whole thing. It was fun riding Capricorn. He was a fairly old dolphin and a very powerful guy to pull me around. I got to experience a newcomer young dolphin who was very cute and full of life... What a blast!"

Your thoughts/feelings on this subject?

Technorati Tags:, dolphins,,


Posted by Kuanyin Moi at Friday, January 19, 2007

3 Comments

  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at January 21, 2007  
    Did you read that article about Dolphin intelligence?
  • Blogger Trailhead posted at February 02, 2007  
    I swam with dolphins in September, 2000,at the Dolphin Research Center in Grassy Key, Florida. The experience was tightly controlled by the trainers, presumably for the protection of both dolphin and swimmer.

    I have mixed feelings about this issue myself, but the fact of the matter is, the experience was thrilling. I think people are simply more likely to care about animals with whom they can have close-up, positive encounters.

    But I'd like to see the keeping of dolphins extremely well-regulated, and the well-being of these dolphins closely scrutinized.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at September 29, 2007  
    After reading http://www.oceania.org.au/soundnet/
    features/peace.html and http://www.hsus.org/marine_mammals/
    what_are_the_issues/marine_mammals_in_captivity/
    biting_the_hand_that_feeds_the_case_against_dolphin_petting_pools.html

    I agree with trailhead and your friend on the positive energy transfer of these encounters between humans and dolphins.

    I am not a vegetarian but I have come to realised that if I have an association to one animal I can channel my mind to treat it as to what I see it to be.

    For instance, if I were to have a pet cow and it died. I would not for the life of me have it slaughtered and dined for dinner. I wish I could explain this more eloquently but I feel children will understand this concept as well.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link